Notes from Catherine Rowett, former Green Party MEP for East of England and deputy coordinator of the Eastern Region Green Party*(UK). Biographical reflections on life as an MEP. Longer reflections and discussions on issues relating to policy, the good life, justice, equality, anti-austerity economics and the future of the planet. This is also a forum for exchanging ideas on how to tread lightly on the planet and avoid supporting exploitation and corrupt practices. Here we go...

Sunday 14 January 2007

Carbon footprints

On Friday my friend Mary asked me whether I'd been to Lyon by train and ship as one should. And I had to admit that I had taken a cheap flight by Easyjet. And then she asked me how I was doing on carbon emissions this year and whether I was going to offset my carbon emissions by funding some carbon reduction project somewhere.

Well I think that's a fraud, and I said so. Mind you Mary was only teasing me. But it's a serious issue.

And I was annoyed last week to see that Tony Blair thought he could get away with jetting off on long haul flights just for the holidays and then excusing himself by "offsetting" the carbon.

And then I saw James Warren's post about the School run. Now the School Run is another thing on which I have views.

And then I thought it was about time I started a Blog on this subject. Because hardly a day goes by when I don't get the feeling that there's something to say on it. And it would be interesting to see what other people say in response.

It'll also be a forum for exchanging ideas on how to tread lightly on the planet and avoid supporting exploitation and corrupt practices. More anon.

No comments: