Notes from Catherine Rowett, former Green Party MEP for East of England and deputy coordinator of the Eastern Region Green Party*(UK). Biographical reflections on life as an MEP. Longer reflections and discussions on issues relating to policy, the good life, justice, equality, anti-austerity economics and the future of the planet. This is also a forum for exchanging ideas on how to tread lightly on the planet and avoid supporting exploitation and corrupt practices. Here we go...

Wednesday 7 February 2007

My guilty secrets

There are some things I still do which I guess I shouldn't do. Here in no particular order are some of them.

(1) We still do a small amount of shopping at Tescos.

(2) I rather like drinking sparkling water at breakfast and after dinner, especially when I'm in a no-coffee phase. The water comes in plastic bottles.

(3) I occasionally go somewhere by plane, even when it's possible to go there by train.

(4) I sometimes drive to Wales and back just for fun.

(5) I have a bit of penchant for lychees (I bought some yesterday).

Probably there are others. I'll let you know when I have qualms about something else.

Now the question is, shall I try to justify and rationalise these weaknesses, so as to be able to live with them? Or shall I "offset them"? Or shall I try to get rid of them?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Re: the sparkling water, there are some types that come in glass bottles instead. Maybe try one of those?

I wouldn't try giving up lychees -- you've got to have some pleasures left in your life!

I disapprove of Tesco, and wouldn't shop there at all given the choice, but I'm quite happy to shop in other supermarkets, so I'd be a hypocrite to say anything about that.

Catherine Rowett said...

Our milkman delivers 1.5 litres of sparkling water in a plastic bottle or 1 litre in a glass bottle. The latter are, of course, also more expensive.

If I use four bottles a week of the 1.5 litre variety I would use 6 of the glass variety.

It's not clear to me that glass recycling is sufficiently much more environmentally sound to make it a good idea to throw out six glass bottles a week, rather than four plastic ones. We do have recycling for plastic bottles in Cambridge.

It also seems likely that the transport of the glass ones (heavier, bulkier per unit volume) is perhaps more extravagant on carbon emissions.

What's really sad is that they don't deliver water in returnable glass bottles. I'd happily send glass bottles back to the milkman like I do for the milk ones.