Notes from Catherine Rowett, former Green Party MEP for East of England and deputy coordinator of the Eastern Region Green Party*(UK). Biographical reflections on life as an MEP. Longer reflections and discussions on issues relating to policy, the good life, justice, equality, anti-austerity economics and the future of the planet. This is also a forum for exchanging ideas on how to tread lightly on the planet and avoid supporting exploitation and corrupt practices. Here we go...

Friday 16 February 2007

My guilty secrets

What I bought in Tescos today and where I should have bought them...

  1. Organic cider in a box (like a wine box, only cider). Not sure where you could get this: perhaps a proper wine shop.
  2. Bananas, reduced for quick sale. These should have been Fairtrade but weren't. I could have got them from the market, not necessarily at reduced price. But if I hadn't bought them, probably Tescos would end up throwing them away...
  3. Apples, a weird sort of green English apples that I've never seen before. They're called Greenstar, and they appeared to say they were grown in Kent. I bought them because I'm a trifle bored with coxs, and although the professor likes russets best, I'm not so very fond because they're too dry for my liking. I very much like Granny Smiths. However it irritates me that the only Granny Smiths you can get in the winter are from France (why apples from France, I ask you?). Well here are some green apples from England. I presume they ripened in the Autumn and have been waxed and kept in carbon dioxide. They may prove to be horrid. I haven't tried one yet: I'll report back. As for where else I might get them, well I'm pretty sure I wouldn't find exactly those anywhere. But the place one should buy local English fruit is the Urban Farm Shop.
  4. White bread from the instore bakery. This I should have made at home, or failing that I should have gone to the local independent bakery baking on the premises on Norfolk Street or on Burleigh Street. But I was a bit late in the day for that.
  5. Traditional chutney. This I should have made at home, or failing that I should have bought it at the Urban Farm Shop.
  6. Two special treats from the Reduced for Quick Sale counter: one was some hummus and one was a kind of appetiser of mozzarella and oven-baked tomatoes. These I just wouldn't have gone anywhere to buy, because they weren't necessary.
The only reason I actually went to Tescos was to get a loaf of warm freshly baked bread in time for lunch, which I couldn't do if I made it myself. Lunch ended up a bit late, but it was yummy, and the extras I got made the day a bit more fun than it might have been.

I also earned double green clubcard points for the organic items and for the fact that I used my own shopping bag. I think Tescos should be commended for providing an incentive to encourage their customers to change their habits in both those aspects.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cider: try the Jug and Firkin (if it's still called that and not Bacchanalia) on Mill Road. If you're lucky you might be able to get it in returnable/reuseable polypins.

Re bread: yes, I'm afraid you should make it yourself. I cheat and use a breadmaker (apart from for pizza dough) but that produces really nice granary loaves that keep apparently make for very nice sandwiches.

Chutneys: well, I made red onion marmalade last week and that seems to be meeting with approval.

Reduced for quick sale: well, if you didn't buy them they'd only have been thrown away.

My guilty secrets du jour include having shopped in Waitrose and bought Corsican beer (I'm afraid I was just so pleased to see it that I couldn't stop myself!) and various French delicacies.